New pieces, one by one
23.May.2016 is my first new birthday.
15.July.2016 is my second new birthday.
I am currently on a medical LOA. In May my left hip was replaced and my right hip will be replaced in July. I am taking this time to re-invent my professional self.
I have 30+ years as an embedded software engineer with a concentration on embedded Linux since 2000. As part of my rebirth I am preparing for a new career. I don’t know what that will look like, I just know I need a change. For the past 3.5 years I have been working for a DoD contractor on radio handsets. Not having a security clearance limits what I can do in this role and it is time to move back to the commercial sector.
This blog chronicles my LOA and my preparation for a new career. Some of the areas I know I want to cover include:
- Ubuntu 16.04 on new laptop
- Improved IT habits, e.g. backup of laptop
- Local webserver(LAMP)
- Adding MediaWiki
- Wiki take 2…trac
- Wiki take3…DokuWiki
- OE Yocto on Wandboard-quad (iMX6)
- Make C++ my language of choice (ahead of C)
- Learn Python as a shell scripting language (replace sh)
- Current Android SDK/NDK
- Technology deep-dive: dbus
- Technology deep-dive: udev
- Technology deep-dive: systemd
This is more than enough to get started. Oh, if the list above and the URL haven’t given this away, I will be blunt. This is all about Linux, Windows is not spoken here.